Navi Mumbai Urban Haat
Urban Haat is an ever-permanent fair for Crafts, Food and Cultural Activities. The craftsmen from various areas and the cultural happenings provide a panoramic view of richness and diversity of handicrafts and artifacts.
The project is a part of Government of India’s policy to set up permanent marketing infrastructure at prime locations in the country to eliminate middle agencies. Urban Haat project confirms the prescribed policy details. Development Commissioner (Handlooms) and Development Commissioner (Handicrafts) are the coordinators and Development Commissioner (Handicrafts) is the nodal agency for implementation. For Maharashtra State, Maharashtra Small Scale Industries Development Commission (MSSIDC) is the nodal agency for co-ordination.
This project is funded directly by Government of India, Ministry of Textiles to the tune of 70% of the estimated cost. Remaining 30% or the actual expenditure has to be borne by the implementing agency.
Selection of site in Navi Mumbai
Analyzing and understanding the concept of Urban Haat which are functioning in New Delhi and Kolkatta, it is felt that Navi Mumbai is the right place for establishing an Urban Haat.
Out of the various townships constituting Navi Mumbai, Belapur is located at the centre. Spread over an area of around 600 Ha, it is a part of Central Business District of Navi Mumbai. The township proves to be the best location of Urban Haat for numerous reasons.
1. self-sustained township with adequate physical and social
infrastructure in place, most of the residential area is
developed Excellent connectivity by rail, road and
waterway.The Sion–Panvel expressway runs through the
township.Major institutions like RBI, TIFR, CCI, CGO Complex,
2. IDBI, UTI, SBI, Central Bank of India and Regional Offices of State Government are functioning. Residential
complexes for major PSUs like ONGC, GAIL, IDBI, Income-tax etc. are developed.
3. The site for Urban Haat is unique and interesting as well.The location is abutting the forecourt area of
Belapur railway station, which carries hundreds of commuters every day.Along the pedestrian link from
Belapur Railway Station to Office complexes used by hundreds of people.
4. The surrounding commercial area spreads over 136 hectares, with estimated number of jobs of more than
50000.Close proximity to Sion-Panvel Expressway and Belapur hover port station. Spread across 4.8
5. Undulating terrain with hill at the center and slope towards surrounding roads. Abundant fully grown trees
existing. Panoramic view from the site.
Design of Haat
Treatment of such a unique site has to be unique. A consultant to design the Haat to suit the prescribed guidelines of Government of India’s policy was necessary. Accordingly, M/s Vector Designs were identified as Consultant. Their proposal not only confirms to the prescribed guidelines but also does full justice to the land earmarked for Urban Haat.
Salient features of the proposal
1. Low profile design, in harmony with surrounding. Built up
area maximum to the extent of 10% of the plot area.
2. Creation of garden around the Haat.Stalls to reflect the local construction culture.
3. The complex shall also have tensile structures for cultural programmes, performing arts, exhibitions etc.The
entire area shall be exclusively landscaped
4. Use of non-conventional energy.Rain water harvesting.
Urban Haat aims to be a place to choose and eat from a variety of food stuff available from across the country, a place for craftsmen, artists, performers to exhibit their skills and for visitors it is a place to relax and enjoy.
The formalities for the commencement of work are almost over and soon the implementation work of Navi Mumbai urban Haat shall begin.
Government of India, under Ministry of Textiles has a policy for setting up of Urban Haats in the country. Such projects, which are fulfilling the criterias laid down by the Government are financed partially. A high level screening committee examines such proposals received for financial grant and take decisions about the financial grant. CIDCO had also sought such financial grant for Navi Mumbai Urban Haat project.
Status of the Project
1. A high level screening committee meeting was held on September 24, 2007 at the office of DC(Handlooms).
In the above referred meeting, the project of ‘Navi Mumbai Urban Haat’ is approved in principle for financial
grant of Rs. 2.1 crores.
2. Foundation laying ceremony at the hands of Hon. Vice Chairman and Managing Director CIDCO, Mr. G. S.
Gill was held on 3rd December 2007.
3. The First Installment of Rs. 52.5 Lacs is received from DC (Handicraft) Ministry of Textile, Govt of India in
March 2008 Work for construction of compound wall and storm water drains amounting to Rs. 25.85 lacs is
awarded to M/s. C.P. Thakur and M/s. V.B. Bhoir Construction Co.
4. Work of development of road and parking area is under award for Rs. 51.94 lacs to M/s. K.D. & Co.The total
estimated project cost is 470 lacs.